Sunday 29 January 2023

Garry's Mod Crashing on Launch (Fix)


Garry's Mod on Linux has always been a hot mess with plenty of random crashes for me. Crashing in game, crashing attempting to join a game, crashing when downloading assets, in addition to media not loading in Cinema rooms. Those are the problems with the game alone and not mentioning the terrible servers loaded with mods and over 5 gigabytes of downloads not for any good reason, but that's a different complaint.

It's now 2023 and I seem to have fixed my Garry's Mod to the point where it hasn't crashed once for me, so far. (Although some servers have been absolutely awful to play on, getting 2fps, thought these are the servers with 5+ gigabytes of downloads. Servers that label themselves as "small download" yet still have 1 gigabyte or more, beyond frustrating, maybe it was better when I couldn't play it...)

Anyway, the fix. I did 4 different steps, without testing in between, so I'm not actually sure which ones are necessary, but if you want to figure that out you can.

1. I opted into a Garry's Mod beta on Steam, specifically "x86-64 - Chromium + 64-bit binaries". You can get this by "right clicking" on the game and selecting "Properties..." and selecting "Betas", then choosing the the beta from the drop down.

Selecting this beta is what caused my Garry's Mod to crash when launching the game in its entirety, rather than crashing while selecting a server. But one of the next steps somewhere fixed that issue.

2. I installed chromium web browser, and I did this via a ppa rather than by the snap in Ubuntu's repository. This step I'm not entirely sure is necessary as a further step patches chromium in Garry's Mod, however it was part of my process so I am including it here as it may actually matter. After installing it I did find that the crash logs in Garry's Mod had more steps before it crashed, so it may actually be needed.

I used the PPAs listed on chromium.woolyss.com under the "The "Debian package" version" header. The commands go:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:savoury1/ffmpeg4
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:savoury1/chromium
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

Whilst I added bother repositories (first two lines, the first is ffmpeg and the second is chromium) I didn't update ffmpeg (yet, it will update next time I run software updater), so it may not be necessary for GMod, or Cinema/media in GMod.

3. I downloaded and ran the "Garry's Mod: CEF Codec Fix". When this runs it will print out what it is doing, it first searches for Garry's Mod using steams game install directories, then it downloads what it needs into a folder from where you've run the application, and then it patches GMod.

You can download the application here: download making sure to get the one called "GModCEFCodecFix-Linux"

4. I downloaded and extracted the "Garry's Mod Lua Main Menu" which converts the main menu and server browser from its lovely clean layout to the old ugly source mod style game server menu, where nothing is categorised, however you can sort via different types, and to be honest while uglier I've found it better to use.

You can download the patch here: download and the instructions are as follows:

"To install this, download the ZIP and extract contents of gmod-lua-menu-master folder ( folders lua and materials ) to your SteamApps/common/GarrysMod/garrysmod/ folder."

 

That's it.

Final step.  Verify your game cache. Back in "Properties", this time in "Local Files" click "Verify integrity of game files...", let it do its thing.

 

Final final step. Find a better game to play.


No comments:

Post a Comment