Saturday 14 January 2017

Saints Row 3 Crashing in Multiplayer (Fix)

Saints Row The Third received a SteamOS / Linux release (along with Saints Row 2). My brother and I scored big on a deal from Humble Bundle Store for the Ultimate Franchise Pack (which also includes DLC plus Saints Row IV and Gat Out of Hell, both which have SteamOS / Linux versions).

I run Linux, my brother runs Windows, and it appears we're not the only ones who couldn't play Saints Row The Third in Co-op across two different systems... until...

The first few of hours I clocked up in SR3 were all in the main menu, we tried repeatedly to connect through all means, attempting to create virtual LANs amongst other things.
I noticed while connecting in online mode we could actually join each others lobby screens for a split second, he would hear a little bit of my voice through the in-game voice chat, then I would crash. The solution...
turn the in-game voice chat off. (Both of us did this on Linux and Windows, however I am assuming disabling it disables incoming and outgoing, so maybe only the Linux user needs to).

Options.
Audio.
Voice chat.

After this Co-op connected fine. No more crashing on Linux... at least in that lobby screen. The linux version is riddled with unexpected, unpredictable crashes that seem to relate to absolutely nothing. It'll crash in a mission, out of a mission, when you're punching an NPC, when you're punching your team mate with the giant fists. I could not figure out what the crashes related to at all as I even tried different graphics settings and default graphics settings. Maybe it's an audio thing as well, who knows. It's been suggested that the random crashes result from the system clock and one should set their clock to a day that the game doesn't crash, if this is the case I should probably just remove my system clock altogether because it crashes everyday.

1 comment: